Wednesday, July 5, 2017

INDEPENDENCE

Submitted to Poets United Midweek Motif,
where we’re asked to write of independence.
July 5, 2017


As he was helping draft the Declaration of Independence
of the United States of America, Abigail Adams wrote to
her husband, John, “I desire that you would remember
the ladies and be more generous to them than your  ancestors”.  
And John replied, “Depend on it.  We know better than
to repeal our masculine systems”, and they did not. 
John expressed that giving up their role as masters would
"subject men to the despotism of the petticoat”.   


I am woman
I am wife and partner
I am mistress and courtesan
I am laundress
I am cook and dishwasher
I am housekeeper and confidant
I am fashion consultant
I am cheerleader
I am bookkeeper
I am assistant breadwinner
I am social secretary
I am finder of lost things (Honey, where is …?)

I am petticoat.

************************

11 comments:

  1. Whew! This poem is like a slap and a kiss. How much of the sky do women hold up? How much of their work do they freely choose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are, at times, all of these things - and ourselves, too. Wonderful, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we are all of those things....but damn, we are more - so very much more!! And to think that after all of these years we still have to prove our worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I (grovelling man) allowed to comment? May I remind you that New Zealand women and then Australians were the first to give women the vote. Well I am pleased to notice that petticoats are less in favor now so you have got what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! No grovelling required. Australia and NZ are also wise enough to control possession of firearms! I haven't worn a petticoat for ever so long, so men are safe from despotism as far as I'm concerned!

      Delete
  5. I love the pride expressed in this piece. Without women being all this, supporting their men, those guys wouldn't be writing, or leading, anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great poem and I am a petty coat. Oh were would they be without us

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love the power of 'I' in its strength and beauty here. Thoroughly relished every word of the poem. Wonderful, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant response to the prompt, Bev. We're all those things and more. Love your regal portrait too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharp...to the point...liked the ending..brilliant!

    ReplyDelete